Monday, February 9, 2009

Valentine week--5


Facts about Valentine's day.. It was written that these were "amazing facts" but you comment how they are..

  • Birds and fowl select their mates on Feb 14th
  • Began in France and England
  • The first box of Valentine's candy was in late 1800's
  • The Duke of Orleans (the frenchman) sent the first Valentine, after being captured in 1415. He sent it on Valentine's day to his wife
  • Over 1 billion Valentine cards are exchanged in the U.S. each year. It's the largest seasonal card-sending occasion of the year, next to Christmas
  • 73% of people who buy flowers on Valentine's Day are men. Only 27% are women
  • About 3% of pet owners will give Valentine's Day gifts to their pets
  • Alexander Graham Bell applied for his patent on the telephone, an "Improvement in Telegraphy" on Valentine's Day, 1876
  • California produces 60% of American roses, but the vast number sold on Valentine's Day in United States are imported mostly from South America. Approximately 110 million roses, the majorityof which are red, will be sold and delivered within a three-day time period
  • Cupid, a symbol of Valentine's Day, became associated with it because he was the son of Venus, the Roman god of love and beauty. Cupid often appears on Valentine's cards holding a bow and arrows because he is believed to use magical arrows to inspire feelings of love
  • In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who their valentines would be. They would wear these names on their sleeves for one week. To wear your heart on your sleeve now means that it is easy for other people to know how you are feeling
  • What are consumers buying? 84% cut flowers, 12% flowering and green houseplants, 4% outdoor bedding and garden plants
  • Of fresh flowers purchased, 56% are roses, 23% mixed flowers, 10% carnations and 11% other single flower types.
  • Of roses purchased, 64% are red, 11% pink, 10% mixed colors, 5% peach/salmon, 4% yellow, 3% white and 3% others.
  • While men buy mostly for romantic reasons, women use Valentine's Day as an opportunity to show their care too mothers, daughters and friends, as well as their sweethearts. Women even treat themselves on Valentine's Day
  • Men-84% wife/significant other, 4% friend, 4% mother, 4% daughter, 4% other
  • Women-32% mother, 24% husband/significant other, 22% self, 16% daughter, 14% father, 2% grandmother, 1% sister, 1% son, 11% other relative/other
  • 15% of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine's Day
  • During the middle of the 17th century even married people used to take a Valentine interestingly, which was not their legal 'better half'
  • In the Medieval times, girls used to eat unusual foods on the St Valentine's Day. It was believed that by doing so they would dream of their future husband
  • During Middle Ages, it was a common belief that the first unmarried person of the opposite sex a person meets on the morning of St. Valentine's Day will become his/her spouse
  • The Italian city of Verona, where Romeo and Juliet lived, receives over 1000 Valentine's addressed to Juliet each Valentine's Day
  • Richard Cadbury, of Cadbury cream egg fame, invented the first box of Valentine's Day themed chocolates in the 1880's
  • On average men spend $130 for their dates on Valentine's Day
  • On Valentine's Day women prefer to open their gifts after a nice dinner while men prefer to receive presents first thing in the morning

Acrostic valentines - had verses in which the first lines spelled out the loved one's name

Cutout valentines - made by folding the paper several times and then cutting out a lacelike design with small, sharp, pointed scissors

Pinprick valentines - made by pricking tiny holes in a paper with a pin or needle. creating the look of lace

Theorem or Poonah valentines - designs that were painted through a stencil cut in oil paper, a style that came from the Orient

Rebus valentines - verses in which tiny pictures take the place of some of the words. (an eye would take the place of the word I)

Puzzle Purse valentines - a folded puzzle to read and refold. Among their many folds were verses that had to be read in a certain order

Fraktur valentines - had ornamental lettering in the style of illuminated manuscripts of the Middle Ages

Poem.. All I See is You..


I remember us,
the way we used to be,
I'd hold you in my arms,
your smile so sweet to me,

But now when I see you,
you look right through me,
I feel so alone now,
but when I close my eyes...

...All I see is you.

The love we used to share,
gone up in whirl winds,
will I ever love,
or ever live again,

I am tired of crying,
and I am done trying,
To remember all about you,
but when I close my eyes...

...All I see is you.

All the love I am sending,
the memories I won't sell,
I know there must be an ending,
to the story I will tell,

I dream only of your love,
and happiness in life,
I try not to think of you,
but when I close my eyes...

..All I see is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment