Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Valentine Week - 7

https://www.conservativereview.com/sss/media/images/conservative-review/article-images/2016/october/dating-culture.jpg



Well, its that time of the year again and due for my week long rant on the construct of "love", which pretty much looks like no one cares about anymore. My rant, may be few but love, no one.

While scavenging for a discussion topic for this week, a term called 'modern dating' came up. It is intriguing on the face of it but got me confused after a while. What are we saying when we use that term? Dating scenario of today? Are we referring to the modern ways of dating? It didn't feel as just a descriptive term. There are allegations, judgements and opinions surrounding the term which reverberated in the tone and usage of it.

So, I got my concept for the week. Lets explore it together.

First things first. The wiki definition. Unfortunately, wiki isn't as advanced as the generation it belongs to. There is no page for modern dating as such, proving again my point that modern dating is not just a simple term. Then, I came across this post by Aziz Ansari on modern dating. While he mostly devoted his piece to online dating, this particular paragraph captured the typical thought process of 20's in 2000's.

"Let’s look at how I do things, maybe with a slightly less important decision, like the time I had to pick where to eat dinner in Seattle when I was on tour last year. First I texted four friends who travel and eat out a lot and whose judgment I trust. I checked the website Eater for its Heat Map, which includes new, tasty restaurants in the city. Then I checked Yelp. And GQ’s online guide to Seattle. Finally I made my selection: Il Corvo, an Italian place that sounded amazing. Unfortunately, it was closed. (It only served lunch.) At that point I had run out of time because I had a show to do, so I ended up making a peanut-butter-and-banana sandwich on the bus."

There isn't one friend in my circle who has a lunch plan far from the above, so much so that it sounds the only way of working on things. While it's not a far off thought that this decision tree is used for soulmate seeking as well, modern dating is much more than just having options to work on. Let's start and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment