Thursday, February 14, 2019

Happy Valentine's Day!!!



And so, just like that, its been 10 years since I started Valentine week. Feels like yesterday when me and 2 friends in IIT Madras roamed on the roads of our campus, me scaring one of them that I would be out proposing a random guy in a week (I wasn't going to). There it started the question of ways to propose someone. When I go back and watch those posts, over the years my tone changed, few of my views changed but I think the value I place on the concept did not change. Between quizzes in college, group studies in MBA, crazy work schedules in my first job and when I did not have energy to even raise a finger, Valentine week kept going.

Only thing I wish by writing these posts is that people should not feel foolish or embarrassed or immature to talk about love and its failings. I guess its about the vulnerability that is dead-given about love. People are not equipped to deal with vulnerability, for that matter even accept it. I am not any different but still I would want my next generation to be (I must be getting old to even say that).

There is a couple I know whom I asked this year’s question. The wife mentioned she was moved by how during their fights her husband, then boyfriend came to her from wherever he is, to just continue the fight in person. He said he loved how she knows about him and how that is reflected in the gifts she gives. So, the little things are not restricted to start of the relationship. They keep going on.

And there is another couple so very near and dear to me. The husband is always frustrated with the way wife carries a lot of stuff when they have to go out and wife cribs about his driving even if its just traffic. One of the bickering sessions in the front row of the car, in the middle of argument, husband says, “Put on the seat belt, the police are particular here” and continued to complain.

Well she continued to cut him off, giving words back, pulling the seat belt and trying to find the latch. She was not able to find it because of the saree she wrapped around in hurry. She blurted “What happened, did you remove the latch?” and that made the husband laugh a little, abruptly. That was a very profound moment for me. Its another story that they continued their fight after that too. They have been married for 29 years now and that’s my parents.

It would be wonderful to find someone who can keep us interested even after decades. We have to be open to notice the little things that happen in our lives to find that charm over and over again.

I can’t be unfair and not share mine. So, here it goes. I think the thing I got attracted to, is the comforting voice. I am a lot of times in anxious mode (everyone knows) and listening to that voice drove away a lot of tension and made me feel relaxed. Words didn’t matter, only the sound of it.

Happy Valentine’s Day !!

No comments:

Post a Comment